Simple Ways To Help The Environment And Your bottom Line
Sustainability and ‘going green’ are increasingly hot topics as energy expenses escalate and the need to protect our environment reaches a critical level. Here are a few simple things you can do to help the environment and your bottom line:
GET LEED CERTIFIED
The Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC) says green offices likely:
- Boost productivity and performance
- Enhance worker satisfaction
- Reduce sick leave, stress level and absenteeism
- Work as a powerful recruitment and retention tool
To make LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification easier, consider:
- Do you optimize your building’s performance? A licensed technician can pinpoint threats to reliability, identify operational inefficiencies and provide ROI calculations and regular reports.
- Are green chemicals and supplies sourced at a fair market price? Larger organizations with greater buying power will have a better ability to source green chemicals and supplies at costs that rival regular non-green products.
- Is your building a good candidate for a self-funding energy savings program?
IMPLEMENT AN ENERGY MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
An energy management program can help:
- Improve and update your facilities and equipment, reducing operating and maintenance costs.
- Improve air quality, lighting, temperature regulation creating more comfortable working conditions.
- Reduce your ‘carbon footprint’ through a reduction in energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
Conservation measures considered:
- Heating and cooling
- Motors, pumps and drives
- Automation and controls
- Water conservation
Also, consider reducing your power and fuel consumption by generating your own energy through the implementation of renewable energy technologies like geothermal, solar and wind power and solar heating.
CHANGE TO DAY CLEANING
Instead of having janitorial work done in the evenings, consider Day Cleaning Programs so extra power isn’t consumed during times the office would normally be ‘dark’.
Want to see relevant case studies with actual data and evidence on the difference energy management can make for a facility? Take a look at these case studies from Ainsworth.